After finding out I had over 1,400 “issues, I’ve spent about 6 hours so far “cleaning” up my tree and have only eliminated about 60 from my list. (I didn’t count – it was 2 pages worth.) It has also caused the addition of about 30 people to my tree (those darn census records!)
Things I’ve discovered during that 6ish hours:
1) expect to spend time not just fixing the issue but looking at the hints on Ancestry.
2) those darn hints are addictive, especially when they link to real documents that you just have to look at and confirm they are really for that person.
3) most of my “errors” are duplicate entries for residence, birth, name, and death.
4) when a cousin sent me a copy of the family association tree, merging created MANY of those errors – for some reason the information was added to the existing people instead of merged.
5) I may be at fault for the duplications – I’m sure my thinking was “I want to verify the documents instead of assuming they are correct.”
6) I must have been crazy that day!! Yet I would rather have to do this cleanup that to find I have true errors that aren’t as easily fixed.
7) I envy those with just a few errors!!